Trademark Registration in Russia
Trademarks are registered by the Russian Federal service for intellectual property (Rospatent) (hereafter – “the Russian Trademark Office”) as per requirements and procedure set by the Civil Code of the Russian Federation and Rules of drawing, filing and consideration of trademark and service mark applications.
The following documents shall be provided to the Russian Trademark Office for trademark registration:
- a trademark application. Please note only legal persons and physical persons conducting entrepreneurial activity can be trademark owners. We draw and file one on behalf of the applicant;
- a document confirming payment of state duty for filling of the trademark application. We pay such a duty acting as trademark attorneys;
- a power of attorney authorizing a trademark attorney to act on behalf of an applicant. Draft form of POA is provided by us at no cost.
The state duties for filing trademark application and examination of the claimed designation are 11500+2700 Russian rubles for one class application (roughly EUR 200) and 2050 Russian rubles (roughly EUR 30) for each additional class of the Nice Classification.
Trademark attorney fee for one application is EUR 100-150.
After submitting trademark application to the Russian Trademark Office examination of trademark is carried out. Results of examination are reported to the applicant in the form of resolution on trademark registration.
Registration procedure takes up to 12 months from the day of submitting the application for the registration of a trademark to the Russian Trademark Office to obtaining Trademark Certificate.
In the course of registration procedure foreign applicants shall be represented by patent (trademark) attorney admitted in the Russian Federation.
The following documents, information and materials shall be provided for trademark registration:
- a power of attorney authorizing a patent attorney to act on behalf of an applicant;
- a print of trademark;
- a list of goods and services to be covered by a trademark (grouped according to the Nice Classification)
- a name of an applicant (in accordance with the foundation documents of a company);
- a legal address of an applicant (in accordance with the foundation documents of a company);
- contact details of an applicant.
We are ready to provide you a complex service regarding trademark registration in the CIS (Kazakhstan, etc.), the Ukraine and other states of the former USSR.
Additional Services Pertinent to the Trademark Registration
The Russian Trademark Office provides the following services pertinent to trademark search:
search of registered designations and designations applied for registration that are identical and similar to a designations (verbal mark) specified by an applicant for classes of Nice Classification specified by the applicant. The Russian Trademark Office issues a listing of verbal elements of trademarks with registration numbers of relevant documents;
search of trademarks and designations registered and applied for registration that are identical and similar to a graphic or device designations provided by an applicant for classes of Nice Classification specified by the applicant. The Russian Trademark Office issues a report containing reproduction of a mark, information on a right holder (applicant) and its location.